Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Eggplant Pasta Pie recipe

My favorites together in 1 dish:  Eggplant and Pasta!  Enjoy!


Baked Pasta with Eggplant
serves 6

  • 3 eggplants 
  • sea salt
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 5 tablespoons breadcrumbs
  • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 garlic clove, crushed
  • 14 oz. chopped tomatoes (or 2 cups)
  • 14 oz. rigatoni, or penne rigate
  • 2 oz. caciocavallo, or pecorino cheese, grated
Thinly slice the eggplant, sprinkle with salt and leave to drain in a colander for at least 2 hours.  Squeeze lightly to get rid of excess liquid.
Preheat oven to 180C / 350F .

Grease a round cake tin with the unsalted butter; we used one that was 10 inches (23cm) wide and 2 inches (3.5cm) deep. put in 2 tablespoons of breadcrumbs and shake and turn the dish so that that they stick to the butter and line the dish.

Heat about 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a deep frying pan and sauté the aubergine slices in batches until lightly colored. Lift out and drain on kitchen paper. Using about three quarters of the eggplant, cover the base and sides of the breadcrumbed tin. Make sure that you overlap the slices so that there are no gaps.
 
Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and cook the onion and garlic over a medium heat until soft, but not coloured. Add the tin of tomatoes and season with salt. Cover with a lid and simmer over a low heat for 10 minutes.

While this is cooking bring a pan of water to the boil, salt well and cook the pasta for 3 minutes less than the packet instructions, so that it is still al dente. Reserve some cooking water and then drain the pasta.
Spoon a layer of the pasta into the aubergine lined tin followed by tomato sauce, a layer of the aubergine and a layer of grated cheese. Repeat with the remaining pasta, tomato sauce, and a final layer of aubergine. Finish with the remaining breadcrumbs to form a coating on the top. Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes and until golden.


Let stand for about 10 minutes. This will allow the dish to firm up.
Put a plate over the top of the tin and holding both the plate and dish firmly, turn both over together so that the Timballo turns out onto the plate. Serve in wedges.
 
(recipe from Georgio Locatelli: Made in Sicily, Fourth Estate, 2011.)

4 comments:

  1. Woah! Eggplant overdose. You need a fleshy plant to be able to hold together after the dish is turned out ofcourse. Using tomato instead would end in a mess I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You cannot overdose on eggplant in my mind. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m here to testify about what Dr James  did for me. I have been suffering from (GENITAL HERPES VIRUS) disease for the past 4 years and had constant pain and itching, especially in my private part. During the first year, I had faith in God that i would be cured someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and I have been taking treatment from my doctor nothing is working out, few weeks ago I came across a testimony of Pedro, on the internet testifying about a Herbalist called Dr James from West Africa, on how he cured Him from 7 years HSV 2. And He also gave the email address of this man... [drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com]..., advising anybody to contact him for help on any kind of diseases that he would be of help, so I emailed him telling him about my (HSV 2) he told me not to worry that I'm going to be cured!! Well, I never doubted him. I have faith he can cure me too,, Dr James prepared and sent me Healing Oil, Soap, roots and herbs which I took. In the first one week, I started experiencing changes all over me, after four weeks of using his Roots/ Herbs, Oil and Soap, I was totally cured. no more itching , pain on me anymore as Dr James assured me. After some time I went to my doctor to do another test. the result came out negative. So friends my advice is if you have such disease or know anyone who suffers from it or any other disease like  HPV, HBV, HIV/AIDS, ALS, HBP, CANCER,NEPHROTIC SYNDROME, etc. you can contact Dr James herbal mixed  the home of wellness direct on his.... drjamesherbalmix@gamil.com...  He is a good man,and He will help you.

    ReplyDelete